Friday 27 August 2010

days 1 and 2

Arrived at John O Groats on Wednesday evening;  checked the bikes to find that I had a broken spoke in the back wheel;  was my fault - trapped with strap on the carrier.  Acknowledging that the mistake was mine did not mend it.  We rang Mark MacDonald (as advertised in the window of the Information shop) and he could not help but commended 'The Bike Shop' at Thurso' as having every spoke under the sun.
Thursday morning found us door stepping  the Bike Shop;  incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and effective;  new spoke in, the cassette re-built and bike tested; we even had a recommendation as to which cafe to get our breakfast at.
Day 1:  the start was then a little delayed;  set out about 1245 and had first stop at Thurso - c 20 miles later, same cafe, not carrot cake but ginger cake was not at all bad. After this through to Bettyhill meeting Alison cycling towards me about 7.5 miles out, which she had to turn back to, climbing the hills she had wizzed down minutes before.
The day was pretty still and sunny.  How did that happen ?
In the site for 1730;  not exactly modern but it has running water and a hot shower i.e. much to commend it. Miles 50.94
Day 2:  started out at 0940 from Bettyhill.  Alison said 'B' roads would be sign posted;  I soon thought I had proved her wrong as I was bowling along a single track road which I had pretty much to myself;  it was much the same when I turned round and rejoined the A road before correctly turning off on to the B871.  It really pleased me to know that I had Alison's confidence in her judgement to share with her later.
Later turned out to be sooner as I met her coming out of the Altnahara Hotel having had an early scone and tea as I was coming in for my early lunch (1150).  Alison came back in and watched me eat a lovely chicken soup before she set off to find the site in Lairg, where we now are.  Alison met me a couple of miles out of town and cycled back (for her) with me.  We were on the site 1400. 
The wind was with me to start, against for a bit and back with us from Altnahara;  what a lovely long descent it is on such a day to Lairg.  Another day of dry cycling. Miles 48.5

No comments:

Post a Comment