Friday 3 September 2010

days 6, 7, 8 and 9

Day 6:  well before I start on day 6 I realise that I did not complete day 5;  Alison waited for me to arrive at the hotel and then set out on her bike for a ride - some 18 miles;  she enjoyed it.  Did  I not report this because I was not aware she had gone out ? Of course not, though I may have been a bit dosy at the time.  Dosy it certainly was of me not to mention her ride.  She is always on the catch up and then trying to get ahead to let her get some exercise in the day;  it is not very fair to her.
Day 6 did start well;  poached haddock and egg for a start;  a walk round Arduaine Gardens, looking very good at the moment.  Started out on the bike at about 1200 just as a young man cycled down the hill to the hotel;  he was notable not only for having a loaded bike but the extent of the load which included a surf board, in a cover with 2 small wheels;  whether it was because he was towing this that he did not reply was not clear at the time.
First stop of the day was Kilmartin Museum for lunch / coffee;  only about 10 miles but at least I could plead the hills climbed.  Met Alison there and had some pleasant soup.  We met again at Tarbert to complete plans;  by the time I arrived Alison had established that we had to book to get on the ferry from Brodick and the first one to go in the morning was at 0820.  We booked and Alison set off for Claonaig;  actually I set off first but she soon overtook me.  There is some good climbing to get to Claonaig.  By the time I had arrived Alison had set off on her bike to look at the castle at Skipness;  I packed the bike carrier in the van and put my bike in;  Alison put her bike in when she got back;  memories of Ron saying he and Lorna had done this with his van when going on ferries, reducing the length of the van to the lesser charging rate.
As we were waiting for the ferry the man with the surf board came cycling along;  he had set out from Oban in the morning (and from John O Groats a week Friday before that 'just following the coast').  He was quite chatty.  He was not looking forward to the climb over to Brodick in the morning, reckoning that he would not catch the first ferry.
We had a calm crossing but when we got to the camp site at Lochranza the gate was closed and a notice on it said it would be locked from 2200 to 0800;  the people at the Restaurant, just outside the gate, said that the proprietors never locked the gate and that they were out having a golf lesson;  Alison and I did not think that we wanted to be stuck in the morning either behind the gate or with problems over payment.  We opted for parking up away;  Alison found a quiet layby on the Brodick side of the hill; just as the Archers was coming on I arrived.  I was fairly efficient in pulling out Alison's bike and the carrier, focussed no doubt by the midges who also felt it was time for food.  The hill over was nowhere near as steep as the road over to Claonaig but I was pleased to have it behind me for the morning.  We ate as did the midges who had come in with me;  we felt the better for eating and I expect the midges felt the same up to the point when we felt they had overstayed their welcome.
48 miles average 13.8 mph

Day 7:   the plan was to be up at 0545 to be in Brodick for 0750 with the bikes and carrier in the van.  The plan worked.  We were not strong on conversation in the morning;  I set off down hill with my rear light on and riding wet roads, wet from the mist.  Getting down to Sannox Bay the sun angrily levered herself from the water, red faced at being raised so early, until she saw the view whereupon she spread her light for all;  for a moment this was nice for us until we realised that welcome had extended to the midges;  the sun must have been upset as well as she disappeared again for an hour or two, either back into the sea or up into clouds.  Nearing Ardrossan the rain started.  We came off the ferry and the traffic flow is clearly set to get you away from the terminal;  we parked in Asda's car park and I changed and set up my bike very slowly, an effective strategy as by the time I had drawn it out the rain had stopped and I set out on wet roads now on a dry morning.
I was not looking forward to having such a choice of roads;  Alison said she would see me at Mauchline, I think with little confidence in my getting there;  the plan was to camp at the site at Douglas, as shown on the map.  I was quite proud of myself when I reached the outskirts of Ardrosssan (again) having been to Saltcoats first;  at least I knew where I was;  Alison went off to see Freddie who said he would have waved me by had he known my route;  Alison's reply had been 'not even Nigel knows his route';  right she may have been, but after various types of cycling, including on a fast dual carriageway, I think it was the A78, I found myself heading for, and actually crossing the boundary into Kilwinning, where I thought Ian to be and where I thought I ought not to be.  Turning round I did a faultless find of Irvine town centre and out on the B road even passing the end of the road where Freddie stays, if only I could remember how to find his house.  Then it was to be on to Kilmarnock followed by Mauchline;  unfortunately at Kilmarnock the road to Mauchline was said to be closed so I went off on the A71 and then headed off there to Sorn which is to be found after quite a bit of climbing, which by now I was of course really enjoying.  Texts were exchanged with Alison as to her having eaten in Mauchline and her having no trouble getting through there and me saying I needed to stop;  I stopped in the village just after Sorn where I had a lovely white onion soup and the chance to see some interesting art work;  a local explained that there were several artists in the village and one of them came in whilst I was there (he had left his jacket and the proprietor said he could let him have it back until he let him have another painting, not that I was listening).  The more significant problem was that the Douglas campsite was no more (we must get some new maps).  Alison retraced her steps as commended and found a site at Muirkirk;  being closer to me I was not upset as the alternative was at Abington, a further 17 miles.  Whilst I finished my repast Alison set off cycling back towards me;  as I was again cycling towards her a local, young to my eyes, cyclist drew up and cycled easily along with me until we met up with Alison.  We had a pleasant run into Muirkirk, a look at the totempole and a chat with a dog owner, and of course, the dog.
The day had stayed sunny, really hot.  51.55 miles average 13 mph

Day 8:   Muirkirk to Annan.  Lovely still, sunny morning;  I was away for 0930 and enjoyed the run through the varied landscape, open cast mining, running rivers and moorland (spattered with further open cast mining).  I turned on to the B7078 to run parallel with the motorway;  there is a wide cycle lane for most of this road;  sadly the lane is very rough surfaced and in places covered in debris;  the main carriageway was not much smoother in places;  it is a road for the mining vehicles.  For the first bit there is such a climb that my left hand went to sleep and was surprised when asked to change gear once the gradient lessened.  I had hoped to stop for my first break in Abington village but was too slow to catch Alison there;  I was welcomed at the hotel with 'you've just missed her, by 5 minutes;  she says she will see you in Annan ...'.  I had a pleasant, if quiet, pot of tea with some choice biscuits.  My next stop was just south of Johnstonbridge where a quiet country hotel made me some delicious scrambled egg, with cream.  Before I had finished there Alison confirmed that she had got the van in the park at Annan and was cycling back to join me.  After some doubts about which road who was on we met at Ecclefechan and had an ice cream before Alison led the way to Annan,  by a more interesting route than I had had plotted.  In the evening we went to an Italian restaurant and were well fed.
70 miles 13.8 average.

Day 9:    a little ride home;  the plan is to visit Hannah in Richmond tomorrow so it as easy to spend a night at home as elsewhere.  Felt a bit odd pedalling familiar roads from Gretna.  Again a still and sunny day.  I was back for 1315 after a 0940 start.  42 miles average 13 mph

1 comment: